Western Jhelum CBO
In 2005 the Government of Punjab followed the same system implemented by Northern Areas for the conservation of endangered species of wild sheep and goat that were excessively hunted and were on the verge of extinction. Pilot project was launched with scanty TORs in the Salt Range or Potohar region of Punjab Province for the protection of Punjab Urial wild sheep species of the region.
After 5 years of implementation of the system there was significant success achieved in bringing back the number of Punjab Urial.
Finally in 2010 after initial success of the program the Government of Punjab formulated the rules and regulations of the Act known as “Punjab Urial Conservation and Trophy hunting (Committee) Rules 2010.”
Under this act Community Based Organizations were formed all over Punjab, specifically in the Salt Range of Punjab.
To ensure the preservation and sustainable use of the wildlife especially the Punjab Urial in the area of Western Jhelum Urial Conservation & Trophy Hunting Committee District Jhelum.
i. To maintain a healthy population of Urial in the area along with other wildlife species.
ii. To harvest the over-matured Urial under a well-monitored trophy hunting
iii. To reduce the incidence of livestock predation by jackals and other wild animals and prevent the un-necessary killing of predators by the people.
iv. To promote the awareness among the local communities for the preservation and sustainable use of wildlife and their habitats.
v. To exercise sustainable use of wildlife resources for the uplift of rural communities and preservation of resources through trophy hunting and Eco-tourism.
vi. To build confidence among the local residents and realize the concept of ownership regarding the natural resources of their area which is essentially a national heritage.
There is an annual audit carried out under the Wildlife act by the Punjab Wildlife Department.
TROPHY HUNTING POLICY
The following points are taken into consideration by the CBO for a successful hunt:
a. Trophy sized males (26 inches and more horn size) are identified in the population by the VWW through a survey of the animals in the month of November. Trophy sized males are those individuals whose horns have reached full development. Such males have a dark brown body color and are almost completing their life cycle.
b. Hunting Season is considered from 30th October till 31st March.
c. The hunter is allowed 7 days for trophy hunting within the hunting year. He is accompanied on his hunting trips by a VWW, who is entrusted with the responsibilities of guiding the hunter to the location where the animals are found; help them in spotting Urial and ensuring that the right sized animal is hunted.
d. 80% of the trophy-hunting fee is utilized by the community while the remaining 20% is the share of Wildlife Department.
e. The hunter is required to write two separate cheques, on in the name of Community (80% of the hunting permit fee) and the other in the name of Government (20% of the hunting permit fee).
f. 60% of the income from trophy hunting fee is utilized by the CBO for the preservation, surveys and development of the wildlife and the community area and 40% for the administrative works as prioritized by the CBO.
g. Lodging / boarding provisions to the hunters are arranged by the CBO. The hunter stays in the designated guesthouse by the CBO which is located in the CBO or a close by area where the hunt takes place.
Negative Media Campaign
After the success of the CBO project under the name of Western Jehlum CBO, people who used to easily poach Urial and other game birds were banned entry into the conservation area hence their access to free meat was stopped. Its these poachers and people who are affiliated with them who are involved in the social media mudslinging at the Western Jhelum CBO.
The fact remains that in 2007 when the first Trophy hunters came to harvest their animals, some of them had to go back empty handed because they couldn’t find the animals or they were unable to find a Trophy animal.
As of today, hunters are able to collect their animal in a day.
ONLY A COUPLE OF SHOOTS LEFT
Book your shoots!
For the first time we will be offering flushed Pheasant Shoots and it’s going to be an amazing experience.
How to book your slots for the
Message us on the Facebook page or mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and confirm your interest and the number of guns in your group that will be shooting.
150 Birds per shoot
Starting from 28th October till 2nd of December
Total of 6 guns per shoot
Price per gun is Rs 75,000
This price includes expenses for all the meals and lodging at the reserve.
After confirmation follow this link http://www.padhrihunt.com/book-now/
And fill the form for each individual hunter who is coming to hunt.
When we have confirmed the details you have filled, you will be provided with an account number where you will have to deposit the shoot fee before the 15th of October or your booking will be canceled and your slot will be offered to the hunters in the waiting list.
For more information please message us on the Facebook page or email us at email@example.com
WhatsApp on 03004013928 for more details
As you already know this year its the Pheasent Season at Padhri Private Game Reserve. The shoots will start in the last week of October when the afternoons are cooler. All shoots will be conducted on Saturdays, hunters will arrive at the camp on Fridays and spend the night at the camp. Shoots will start at 9 am till 4 pm with a refreshment break. After an early dinner the hunters will leave for home or their next shooting destination as Sundays will be partridge shooting days in other areas. Each shoot will have a total of 6 shooters. Total of 150 birds will be released and they will be flushed with dogs. The whole shoot can be booked as a group shoot or hunters can buy slots out of the 6 slots available in every shoot. Price per hunter for the shoot is Rs 75,000/- Price of the group of 6 guns shoot is Rs 450,000/- This price includes charges for the shoot, lodging and all meals and refreshments. Book your slots now! IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT HUNTERS BRING THEIR OWN DOGS AND GUNS.
Was our guest at Western Jhelum CBO and Padhri Game Reserve for his Urial Trophy, Mark booked his hunt through Shikar Safaris. A brief introduction of Mark Peterson in his own words.
In early 2013, I decided to leave my familys fruit farming and processing business to turn my passion into my full-time job. I now spend about two-thirds of my year out in the field. When Im not in the field, Iam building my businesses. Iam currently the Co-Owner & CEO at Worldwide Trophy Adventures, Co-Owner of Rusted Rooster Media & Hatch Marketing Group, Co-Owner of Whitaker Brothers Hunting Company, Co-Owner of Salt River Outfitters, Co-Owner of Goose Haven Canada, and part-owner of The Wildlife Gallery. Iam also the Host of Cabelas Instinct: Expedition Series on The Sportsman Channel. In addition, Im currently working on my Super Slam and I aim to complete it in a few more years. I continue to hunt with my father, who has appeared on my television shows. And soon, youll see 3 generations of Petersons out there, hunting and enjoying the outdoors together.
It’s the first year we at Padhri Private Game Reserve opened our doors for commercial upland shooting and here’s what hunters had to say about their experience.
Survey held on proposed bush camp site in Padhri Private Game Reserve.
I have hunted in Pakistan three times in the last five years. As I prepared for my most recent Pakistan shikar, a lot of folks looked at me like I had three heads: “You’re going where?”
Pakistan offers a mix of forest, plains and mountain species. There are four varieties of urial sheep: Afghan, Blanford, and Punjab urial are currently hunted; the Ladakh urial is not. In the north, Himalayan blue sheep are hunted; the argalis are scarce and probably won’t be. There are two ibex–the big-bodied, heavy-horned Himalayan ibex in the big northern mountains; and in the arid hills of the southwest, the small-bodied Sind ibex with its impossibly long horns. Although pricey and with very few permits, three varieties of markhor are huntable–Astor, Kashmir, and Suleiman.
That’s just the mountain game. There are two gazelles, Indian and Kennion, plus native range, free-range blackbuck. There are hog deer, pockets of Indian muntjac, and axis deer and nilgai have been reintroduced in free-range situations. The Indian wild boar, considered slightly larger and classified differently from his Eurasian cousin, is widespread (though difficult to hunt). Small predators include golden jackal, Asian jungle cat and fox. Large predators, currently protected, include Asian leopard, snow leopard and hyena. Continue Reading →
Chukar or Chakor is also the national bird of Pakistan. Used to be quite common in the hilly and mountainous regions of all provinces. Usually found between 1500 to 4500m above sea level. Over hunting, loss of habitat and pesticides have played a major role in the decrease in population of these birds. Before you know it they will be considered under threatened species and if something is not done to save it in the regions where there numbers are alarmingly low, they will vanish from those areas maybe for ever.